Thursday, December 8, 2011

Patch Adams

I just finished “The Ragamuffin Gospel” this morning and I was having some deep, morning thoughts.  Since my childhood, my compassion has outweighed my fear.  I would be the first to go out of my way to help someone without the consequences passing through my mind.  But I have found that people tend to think I am stupid.  When I do suffer the consequences of love and compassion, people tell me that I should learn from my mistakes.  When there are no consequences, they say I am lucky but stupid.  So here is the question I pose to you: “Are we supposed to be smart when it comes to love and compassion?”  Seriously, are we supposed to weigh the risks and benefits before we act?  Am I supposed to pick the “smart choice” to love?  Am I supposed to only invest in someone I know is going to yield a return?  The church I used to go to often encouraged us not to "waste our time" on the people who are not worthy of it: "pearls before swine" I guess.  If you didn't want it bad enough or earn it in some way, there was no time for you.  I personally think that is rubbish. 
Please don't think I am braggin in any way because I am telling you that at the end of the day, I have kicked myself senseless for some of my decisions.  I love like an idiot.  Let me give you an example of what I mean.  I want to pick up every person I see walking in the rain.  One day, there was a poor (like I felt bad for them not like they had not money) couple who had just come back from Europe and their ride had forgotten them at the airport.  They did not have their cell phones and they had been stuck at the airport all day.  They took two busses and one of them happened to be mine.  They had all their luggage and no way to get home from my bus stop.  I went through a battle between what I wanted to do and what I knew my parents would approve of all the way home.  Finally, as I was getting off the bus, I offered them a ride home (I also asked them politely not to kill me - true story).  When I told my boyfriend (at the time) what I had done, he was livid!  Once again, “it was stupid.”  Please don’t think anything bad of him, he was just loving an protective and I get that.  But the issue is that loving like I believe Christ loved is not safe.  It never has been and it never will be.  Then (because my mind is quite uncontrollable in the morning before my coffee) I thought about the movie “Patch Adams” with Robin Williams.  I think that movie came out about 13 years ago and I only watched it once but it popped right into my head.  I have been hurt.  I have been cut deep.  People tell me "a helathy person wouldn't chose that kind of person to love." 

There is always risk.  Especially when you give yourself to people in compassion and love or when you try to make a difference.  But then again, you take a risk every time you get in your car or walk down the street. 

I would love to hear thoughts.  What do you think?  Am I stupid?  Is there a way you gauge risk in terms of love and compassion?   

1 comment:

  1. Mama says what the heck!!!!!! But the girl who did a very similar thing, I would rather heir on compassion than fear. Is that wisdom? No NO NO and NO again.

    ReplyDelete