Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Legal Reflections

Since I was young, I wanted to get involved in law.  At first, I just wanted to be a paralegal.  I wanted to do the research but not the arguing.  That is what I thought at the time.  Well, turns out young lawyers do the “research”, seasoned lawyers do the “arguing” and paralegals do a little of each plus drafting, docketing, court and client communication, and in general, schmoozing everyone when your boss has upset them.  I started working in the legal field when I was 18 as a part-time legal assistant.  Then I became a full-time legal assistant, and eventually I became a paralegal.  Somewhere along the way (probably in my early 20s) I decided I would, in fact, like to be an attorney.  When I was in my last 2 quarters for my bachelors, I studied, took the LSAT, and applied for law school.  Let me tell you that the amount of time, energy and money it required to do that while I was working full-time and going to school full-time made for a rough 6 months.  In the end, I was not accepted into any of the 5 schools I applied to.  It was devastating.  But I got a full-time job at a Construction Firm downtown and I just started working. 

            I will say that something very unique to the position that I am in is that I am intimately involved in the every process that an attorney does here at this firm.  I work for a “seasoned” attorney who is stuck in his ways and will not under any circumstances attempt to learn how to use a computer.  He won’t even allow one in his office.  So I am involved in everything.  I do almost all the research he needs, I type the drafts of all legal documents (or find out how to draft them myself), I even type out all his emails to counsel and clients.  While some (most) have found my unique position annoying, inefficient and unbearable, I find it to be an invaluable learning experience.  I know the value of learning each skill set that I have developed while I have been here.  And I see all the hard work I do now as work I will not find so hard in law school or in my first few years as an attorney (Lord willing).

            What sparked this you ask?  I received my notary stamp today.  : )
          

          Since I have had my foot in the door of the legal profession for 10 years now, I know how valuable that is.  Common questions in interviews or paralegal positions include "Are you familiar with e-filing?"; "How many words do you type a minute?"; "Are you comfortable with the Microsoft Office Suite?"; "Do you have any experience with Dictation/Transcription?"; Are you familiar with Westlaw?" and "Are you a notary?"  Thanks to my time here at this firm, I am all of the above!!!  The legal world is my oyster.  : ) Just kidding.  But these are my reflections.  They are also the reasons I am not running for the door as most paralegals in my particular position have done after about a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment