Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Good Marriage

I don't blog much about the books I read because I don't want this to turn into a book blog.  However, sometimes I like to express the thought process that a book provokes in me and that is what I am going to do here.  I am reading a book entitled "The Good Marriage" by Judith Wallerstein and Sandra Blakeslee.  If you know me, I am sure you just blurted out "What?!!!" and started laughing.  It's okay.  I don't judge you for that. : )  My favorite professor from college and I met for lunch a couple months ago and we talked about life (as we always do) and she gave me practical solutions on all my life's challenges (as she always does : ) and one of her tips was that I read this book.  I put it on the list (a bit begrudgingly) and started reading it in Destin.  My older sister read the same book when she was beginning her relationship with Jason and it was really interesting to hear the things she gleaned from it at that important time in her life. 

It is, in fact, a very interesting book.  I am often plagued by fear of a failed marriage or an unhappy one or betrayal, etc. (You know...the usual fears...?)  I think I thought I was going to find some answers in there about how to choose the perfect mate but it isn't that at all.  It is just little treasures from happily married couples; tools for a successful relationship.  I have found it very interesting and I am not even annoyed by it at all (believe me, it surprises me too).  It has been extremely thought provoking.  I am realizing that I have become chronically selfish and that if I were to marry, the success of the marriage would hinge on 1) my ability to humble myself and become a we (Ew. yuck.  I didn't even like saying that) and 2) communication (damn). 

Anywho I am learning a lot and it has also provoked some very interesting conversations.  I am excited to keep reading and keep doing my own little research study. : )  If you are married and reading this, I would be really interested to hear thoughts. : )

2 comments:

  1. I'm married... but I'm pretty sure you are very familiar with my thoughts..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to know the thoughts of an anonymous person, ya know?

    ReplyDelete