Thursday, March 17, 2011

Who am I

I have been thinking a lot lately about how we as people relate to ourselves and define ourselves. More specifically, how we can look back at certain times of our lives and say things like "I am not who I was". Sometimes it is because we have changed and grown and become more of the person we want to be. Often times, it is because life's trials have broken us and have left deep scars. Even more often, it is a little of both. I have never wanted to be someone who had regrets or made mistakes. But to quote a great movie, "Well you're in the wrong species love. You should have been a dog."
On one hand I have fought to become who I am. On the other hand, I have let life break my heart, discourage me and harden me without a fight. It is in the midst of pain that I have changed the most, for better and for worse. i just don't want to look back and regret that I am not who I was. I can look back and wish I was skinny or wish I had no wrinkles and perky boobs but who I really am, I want that to be someone I am more proud of every day. I want to own my identity. I want to look back and say that I am so glad those things have changed and theat I am so glad God brought me through that or healed that. LEt that be true of me.

5 comments:

  1. Kris I am testing to see if I can write on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris you are a women of God full of compassion that some times bites you in the ____!!! When we are young our grades and our appearances is all we have to define us. But as we experience life's trails and how we respond to them that becomes our character and defines WHAT WE REALLY ARE . This is much more painful and honey I am MORE POUD OF YOU EVERYDAY AS I WATCH YOU LET GODS DEFINE YOU TURE IDENTITY. Kris your greatest gift to those around you is how you can laugh when your facing crap but don't let that cover up your true feelings.
    Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom. I got that from you and grandma Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking something pretty similar today and yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, loved that post and loved mom's response :-)

    ReplyDelete