Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Black History Month

I am so disappointed in myself.  This month was Black History month and I agreed to read the Hunger Games without thinking.  At least this month, I wish I had challenged my book club to read something having to do with African American history.  I feel terrible.  I am reading Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington and then The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois.  If anybody who reads my blogs wants to challenge them self to really try to understand another race: its struggles, scars, and daily challenges on a deeper level, let me know.  Please understand that interacting with Black, Asian, or Hispanic people does not give you an understanding of them.  You get to know them.  Black History month is set aside for white people learn the history they spend one week on in school and for Black people to celebrate the strength of their community.   It is important.  Nothing you will read in African American history is easy and it won’t feel good but it is so necessary.  It can and will change you.  Empathy, compassion, and love all come from a place of humility.  You have to care enough to look at what isn't pretty to make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment