Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Cold Test

    When I get sick, I get "knocked-on-my-ass" sick."  And that, my friends, is exactly how I spent my weekend..."knocked-on-my-ass" sick.  It crept up Friday night after a pleasant evening of dinner with Little Sister and her Beau followed by drinks with some friends from law school.  On the way home, I noticed a little itch in my throat.  the next 4 days have been filled with obscene amounts of mucous, an exhausting amount of coughing, an overwhelming amount of aches, pains and headaches, and an unending feeling that one of my sister's labs is sleeping on my chest.  

     I usually only get sick like this once a year and I guess I am glad the worst of it hit me on the weekend but man, I forgot how much a cold can suck.  

     That leads me to more important thoughts.  I think a cold is a real indication of the kind of man you have found.  The way a man treats you when you are sick is extremely important and indicative of how well he will be able to take care of you and children in the future.  Having the best dad in the world, I sort of expect to be babied a little bit when I am sick.  I probably won't ask for it but I sure do notice when a guy doesn't attempt to take care of me.  

      This weekend, my boyfriend made me drink tons of V8 (thank God I haven't been able to taste or smell anything), made me fried rice (???), and anytime I had a coughing fit, he forced me to gargle salt water twice and drink a tablespoon of honey (ew).  He called that last one "an old negro remedy."  lol.  It certainly isn't what my dad did for me when I was sick (which was to buy me 4 or 5 different cold medicines and whatever I wanted to eat/drink at the store and then look at me so sad that he could do more :), but it certainly was adorable.  OH AND HE LET ME WATCH WHATEVER I WANTED ALL DAY ON MONDAY!  Until about 6 PM when he told me he could not watch one more episode of Criminal Minds. But he took good care of me, in his own way.  He passed the cold test. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment