Friday, November 11, 2011

Job Market

The last few weeks have been pretty rough for my sister and I.  We each have positions that require more than forty hours of work to be squeezed into 40 hours every day.  For the last few weeks, we have also been trying to do another full-time job as well.  The other paralegal, Stephanie, quit a couple weeks ago and we have been doing our best to fill in the gap.  However, the hiring of a new person has posed a problem.  The senior partner, Larry (my boss), wants to keep Katrina in marketing.  The other two partners, David and Christian, want her to become their paralegal.  This back and forth has really gotten on my last nerve because we are both really tired of covering and we can hire a new person until they make up their damn minds. 

I am so tired of the games and manipulation.  For some reason, I keep getting dragged into the middle of it which is just so uncomfortable for me but today I realized something.  3 attorneys are basically fighting over my little sister.  Lol.  And my boss keeps calling me to make sure I don’t get mad at him for his part in trying to keep my sister as his marketing director and seminar coordinator because he knows that Katrina actually wants to move into paralegal.   If I may be so bold, they really like us.  I think they don’t want to lose us.  So our lives are miserable, but they are miserable because we are valued…? 

I am pretty grateful to my parents for instilling a great work ethic in us.  My sisters both work really hard.  We also all work at law firms.  I think that may be some masochistic quality we also may have gotten from my parents.  The thing is that while I really feel for the people who are at “Occupy Wall Street” because the wealth gap is a huge problem.  Let’s be honest, money begets money.  The more money you have, the easier it is to make.  But my sisters and I have not ever been truly poor and we have always been able to find work because my parents taught us how to put our noses to the grindstone, remember that others have it worse, and work our asses off.  : ) Thanks mom and dad.

2 comments:

  1. Way to see the silver lining. And you're right, we have a lot to thank mom and dad for and knowing how to work hard is definitely up there. "Kellys: We take a lick'n and keep on tick'n." ;)

    ReplyDelete