Thursday, March 21, 2013

To Do

In the last couple months, I (like all the other 1Ls) have been panicking about what to this summer.  Of course we self-absorbed law students are convinced that every decision we make is life altering and are terrified of making the wrong one.  We are constantly hearing about how challenging the job market is and how we need to have experience in order to be in the 20% that can get a job right out of law school.  We do this because we do not feel that we have enough stress in our lives and this is why I personally know students with bleeding ulcers and others who need to be medicated.
I will be honest, I have been letting this additional anxiety weigh on me as well.  However, I have been struggling with what I want to do.  I have plenty of experience with law firms but I really want to move into a direction that I would like to build my career on.  The problem is, I am not sure exactly what opportunities are out there that match my personal and career goals.  So what do I do?  I meet with lots of people trying to find something that sparks my interest.  So I haven't found a job, or an internship, or an externship.
On that note, I am going to a social justice retreat this weekend and I am excited about it.  It is about developing businesses to meet the needs that you see but for which there is not already a field for.  I think I am excited about that!  There is something that I have felt a pressing need for and I have felt this way for the last 6 or 7 years.  I have not found any organizations or businesses that meet this need and I think maybe it would be worth developing the idea.  However, I would probably still need some experience in a similar field.  I don't think I am ready to talk about my ideas but I am excited to see what the weekend holds.  Perhaps I will be inspired!  Wish me luck!

1 comment: